Enroll in courses through our enrollment page. PWR 1 is a prerequisite for all creative writing courses, with the exception of English 9CE: Creative Expression in Writing and English 9CT: Special Topics in Creative Expression. Learn how to enroll by clicking the link to the ‘Enrollment’ page in the sidebar.
English major with a Creative Writing emphasis
Visit the English department website for information about the major in English with a Creative Writing emphasis.
- The creative writing minor is a six-course minor (30 units)
- Students must select either the prose or poetry track.
- To declare a creative writing minor, visit the Student page on Axess.
- To expedite your declaration, make sure to list all 6 courses you plan to take for your minor.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Courses taken abroad or at other institutions may not be counted towards the minor.
|Prose Track||Poetry Track|
Note: Any 190X course (190F, 190G, etc.), 191X course (191T, etc.), or 192X course (192V, etc.) counts toward the 190, 191, or 192 requirement. Students who declared the minor before the 2013-14 year may use English 94 or a pre-1800 course.
NEW in 2015-16: The Creative Writing Program is pleased to offer a third track for the minor in Creative Writing. The Fiction Into Film Track is composed of six courses designed to explore the intersection of literary and screenwriting forms.
|Fiction Into Film Track|
- English 190F (Fiction Into Film) is an intermediate-level course and requires English 90 as a prerequisite.
- English 198F (Hoffs-Roach Tutorial) is a small workshop course in which students work closely with faculty to write a full-length screenplay .
View Course Descriptions HERE
View This Year’s Special Topics HERE
View a list of courses that fulfill the pre-1800 literature requirement HERE
See the full list of creative writing courses on the English website.
View the Request for Course Equivalence Form HERE
View the English 198: Individual Work Form HERE
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, drop by our advising hours, or visit us in our office: Building 460 (Margaret Jacks Hall, in the front wing of the quad), Room 223.